Thursday, May 13, 2010

Part 0005 super glue

I think carpet tape would be too inaccurate. Also I don't have any.
Super glue seems to stick Delrin to the wood strongly enough. Also, I can remove the piece from the wood with my pen-knife. Now, can I remove the super glue with hot soapy water and a sponge?...

Leaving it to soak in the washing up bowl...

No. But I can sand it off and nobody needs to know it was there. I'll leave a little bit extra on the face machining depth, so I can sand it down to the required thickness anyway.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you're going to be cutting a lot, you might want to give the tape a shot. Dan Falck turned me onto it and it's become and indispensable tool. It holds incredibly well as long as you have a fairly low profile and a fair amount of surface area. You just need a really good scraper to get the gunk off.

Dan Heeks said...

Can you tell me a product name? or a link to a picture of some tape. I will get some and try it.
I can keep the cutting forces low by taking multiple depths of cut.

Dan Falck said...

Hi Dan,
I don't have a product name, but it's known as 'carpet tape' here. It's double sided tape with fiber strands running in a grid in it. I think it's used to hold transitions in carpet together and down on a floor.