Thursday, March 18, 2010

conventional vs climb

I made two profile operations with tags. I notice these tags don't hold the part in very firmly, partly because I made the program assuming the wood is 20mm thick, but it is 19.6mm thick. The tags were set to be only 2.5mm thick, but they turned out to be 2.1mm thick. I could feel a significant amount of wobble in the parts before I broke them out of the block.
I have written CV and CB on them to remind me which was done with conventional milling and which was done with climb milling; for CV the tool went anticlockwise around the square, for CB the tool went clockwise. I used horizontal feedrate of 400 and vertical feedrate of 200.
Measurement taken at a depth of about 5mm below the top.
CV measured:
x width = 19.77mm
y width = 19.82mm
CB measured:
x width = 20.11mm
y width = 20.01mm

This demonstrates how the tool get pulled towards the part with "conventional" but gets pushed away from the part with "climb".

No comments: